27 Aug 2007

A hard nights work, well dancing

So Saturday night, well what can I say, I had a great night...a nice bit of dubstep is good, a truckload can always be healthy every now and again. Not always though, just in case you think that I could spend all my time listening to dubstep, as with every genre there is stuff out there I don't care for.

Anyone who saw me on Saturday, may well have thought that I looked fed up, instead I was just worn out and to be honest on my last legs by the time I got to The Other Rooms, running the couple of miles from the Tyne along the quayside and up to central will help kill you off trust me. Anyway I'm procrastinating.

I think I chose the most unusual method of framing my mind for dubstep on the metro ride into town, I chose to listen to a mix linked to by Rupture of an interesting, if mildly confusing, pitched down cumbias by Sonido Martines, it's downloadable here. It might just confuse my ears due to the fact that I have no relationship with the music, and therefore the frame of reference I come to is only picked upon when some sample from a Rod Stewart track creeps in.

So No Name offered a delicious line up topped by Benga and Appleblim, needless to say both did what they do so well I can't complain. Benga's sets always strike me as some of the most colourful dubstep sets, it gets to a point that Georgina Cook mentioned in the documentary I recorded, that it would be nice to see Dubstep at festivals, Benga is the sort of DJ I can see doing a daytime set in a green field. Meanwhile Dynamix played another great set, that to be honest really started off the dubstep affair nicely and got a few more bodies moving out on the dancefloor.

To the Other Rooms and the Heavyweight boys, I haven't been to enough Heavyweight nights lately, I think £27 taxi rides home reinforce the downside of living in South Shields. It might also highlight why I was so reluctant to leave early. Dynamix and Funk Ethics (check out The Blues is Now on his myspace page, somewhere between Prefuse73 and Benny Ill) both played heavy sets that got the night going, and that I thought were both up there. Gravious and Scuba to be honest seemed to find my body trying to shut me down, and to be honest Gravious I found the most enjoyable, Scuba, as much as I do like his sets usually, was just a little to dark for me with my body in meltdown, on a different night, I may well have been singing the praises of Paul Rose and not leaving early, sadly a long day just took its toll.

For future reference I will drink more energy drinks and water, and less beer, and maybe have a pizza midway to avoid this sort of burnout. Now to bed.

No comments: