27 Mar 2007

Benga, Kieran Hebden and Steve Reid, and some other bits

So last night saw myself and a motley crew of associates heading down to the Cluny for what could only be described as a mixed bag of a line up, it made sense to me, unlike the time of the last metro.
The Cluny I have to say is not the best venue for dubstep, neither is the soundsystem. Those facts did not prevent Benga playing a storming set, despite jumping records due to over enthusiastic skanking and unsuitable turntable set ups, but enough of the negatives because they didn't ruin a great set. Once again I got the great feeling that dubstep could really take a grip on Newcastle, which is good news for the Heavyweight guys, athough the dancefloor started to fill slowly, by the end it was packed up front, which is a great sign. Benga's set just went to prove that well he is one of the top dogs in the ever growing sound that is dubstep.
Sadly I only witnessed about 15 minutes of Hebden and Reid's set, due to the run to the metro, but from what I heard it was a great one. Steve Reid's drumming just seemed remarkable, I won't pretend to be a jazz afficiando, so I'll just goddamn that man can play.
So just to confirm, Benga tore apart the Cluny and reaffirmed my love of dubstep once again.

On a business tip, I'm thinking of investing in a few bits and pieces to try and get Forward Motion on the go again. A new microphone and a portable digital recorder top my list, and I may also invest in a website too, after promising this far too often I wouldn't hold too tight especially as the major sticking point is a website name at the moment, so any suggestions?

No comments: