9 May 2005

Thoughts of Stefani rockin her L.A.M.B

I'm starting to notice more and more that the same riddims are being picked up both by what some deem the mainstream and what some would like to believe is the underground. The sounds the likes of Diplo, Rupture et al are going with right now crunk, grime, baile funk, whatever else you wanna throw in there are also appearing on the candy coloured pop videos of the likes of Gwen Stefani, I mean I can't complain about the track itself though Steffani's voice does grate on me more and more, but the production and more importantly the rhythm are infectious as hell. Not actually sure of where I was gonna go with this, bar the fact that the borders between us and them, mainstream and alternative are nothing but a mass of air.
Anyway back to the dissertation, great the discussion of results. Watch out for the show tomorrow, Alex from Dot-Alt has handed over a nice and grimey mix.
Edit
In a pre-show check out of radio clit I see diplo has done a remix for the lovely Miss Stefani, any odds on M.I.A and Gwen collabing?

1 comment:

Alex Bok Bok said...

i think the difference is that even though the two tribes tastes are more and more merging into the same path, we blog about it and stroke our chins, and ponder whilst we shock out, whereas they just shock the fuck out. That and buy brands hookline and sinker. Arguably both of us, both tribes I mean, are inexcusable culture tourists, but then that line of thought has always seemed a little bit reactionary to me.